Obtaining Lawful Permanent Residence through a family member, often known as the "Green Card", requires sponsorship by a parent, son or daughter, or spouse.  The process begins with the filing of a family petition with CIS, typically followed by an adjustment of status application.  However, if the sponsored family member is abroad, consular processing may be required.  Our office can prepare and file the necessary paperwork on your behalf.
After holding Lawful Permanent Residence for the required number of years, we will assist you in obtaining U.S Citizenship.

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of status is a procedure allowing certain non-U.S. Citizens already in the United States to apply for permanent resident status. Persons admitted to the United States in a nonimmigrant, refugee, or parolee category may have their status changed to that of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) if they are eligible to receive an immigrant visa and one is immediately available. 

Consular Processing

Consular processing is the application for permanent residence through the issuance of an immigrant visa by a U.S. Consulate abroad. When consular processing, the interview for an immigrant visa takes place at a U.S. Embassy or consulate located in the foreign person’s country of nationality (with some exceptions).


Naturalization and Citizenship

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) are eligible for U.S. Citizenship by applying for naturalization through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (CIS). Most LPRs must wait for a period of five (5) years prior to such application, however, persons who obtain their “green card” through marriage to a U.S. Citizen may apply for citizenship after only three (3) years of lawful permanent residency.